Thread: McKBrew's 2004 4Runner Build Thread

Default McKBrew's 2004 4Runner Build Thread

If you've caught my other post, you know I traded in my 2009 JK Wrangler Unlimited on a 2004 Toyota 4 Runner.

I figured I might as well start a "build thread". It'll be a long time before I actually get too far as I'm not rushing into it like I did with the Jeep. I'll do it once and do it right. Although I said the same thing with the Jeep, this truly will be the last vehicle I buy for a long time (unless I get lucky on Powerball or Megamillions ).

First thing.

Tomorrow is new tire day. 265/65/17 Bridgestone Dueler AT (D695). Didn't want to mess with a different size right now, so I'll keep the stock size.

Long term plans in order of expected accomplishment.

Rock Rails. Would like to have someplace to use my Hi-Lift jack if need be.
    Here's what I am looking at. I'll need to track down someone decent with a welder.

Lift

Something in the 2.5-3" range. I would move this farther down the list, but my research so far suggests that you need heavier coils on the 4runner before you start adding bumpers.

Front Bumper

Have got a winch now sitting in the garage without a vehicle. Not a lot of off the shelf options for a 4Runner, but I'm leaning toward the Shrockworks as it has integrated D ring mounts unlike the ARB.

Rear Bumper or Roof Rack (Not sure which one first)

After those items, not sure what I'll do. Maybe a rear locker.

Probably don't need to go too excessive. This isn't going to be a rig used like my Jeep (trying to squeeze down tight extreme off camber trails, etc...).

I'm looking more toward an expedition/touring vehicle that will be used to explore back roads, forest roads, and for camping.

Oh boy, another project. Wouldn't want to see you with time on your hands.
    Jerry
    Exploring PNW Backroads
    K7PNW

It'll be a project, but one that doesn't have a completion date.

I had fun with the Jeep, learned a lot including how not to rush into things and get the cheapest components out there. I also had a vehicle that really wasn't suited to what I want to do. There was a time when running through trails in 4L was fun (and it probably still would be), but honestly I have more fun just cruising along various trails NOT worrying about body damage or potential breakage.

Truth is that I think the 4Runner will be a capable vehicle in it's stock form for jut about everything I want to do. The only thing I really see lacking is decent recovery points. This forum has also interested me in communications and eventually I'd like to get my HAM license and add that to the vehicle as well.

I haven't spent much time on this forum since I joined, and with the exception of Ceg, haven't met anyone either. Yet I think this place is probably one of the few places where people actually are interested in the same type of recreation that I am. Don't know how much anyone will be seeing of me anytime soon though. I'm set to deploy in a few months and then when I get back I have less than 5 months until I retire from active duty so I'll need to find a job.

As it stands now we'd really like to end up in Northern Idaho, but I'm looking at possible opportunities in Eastern WA and Northeastern Oregon as well.

4. Default

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this rig. I have a 2009 SR5 4Runner that I'd like to upgrade in the coming years. Mine has to do double-duty as "family truckster" and "trail rig", so probably nothing too extreme for me.

[QUOTE=Sun195;36351 so probably nothing too extreme for me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. If I want a vehicle to squeeze down narrow off camber trails, my wife said that she wouldn't be opposed to me getting an old Jeep in a few years. I don't want to tear up my daily driver.

I do think rock rails still have a place on even a basic trail rig, I've torn up plastic side steps on a forest service road. Also a point to lift with a jack. A Hi-Lift and well placed branches and rocks got me un-stuck in the Olympics once. Probably don't have a lot of use for my winch, but I decided I wasn't giving it away when I traded in the Jeep.

6. Default

I agree - would like to get rails for my rig someday, but my wife uses the plastic side-steps to get in (she's short), so it's probably unlikely that we're getting rid of those any time soon. I have the Lift Mate for my hi-lift that lets you attach a lift point to the wheels. Not many other places to use a hi-lift on the 4th Gen 4Runners.

My next likely upgrades will be a reciever-mounted recovery point and a safari rack of some kind (been thinking of the Yakimas, but hear they rattle-off over time).

I'd also like to get a Jeep of some sort for a third car, but would need to get rid of my other "3rd car" (TR7) so I'd have a space to put it. Frankly, having three cars has been kind of pain & I'd like to get my garage space back. (I keep telling my wife that I'll get a Unimog & park it in the side-yard - which I'm sure would be popular with her & the neighbors...)

Thanks for the reminder about the lift mate. I had forgotten all about that product.

When you come back you will have to update us on what you have done so far. Post photos too! =-) Love Toyotas... =-D
    Drive harder, faster, safer, and keep it rubber side down.

Don't know how I missed this one........sounds like a good build. I too think an expedition type vehicle is the way to go!
    N7GS

Gone. Now have a 2007 FJ Cruiser. Last vehicle I will be allowed to buy for a long time unless I win the lottery.