Category Archives: Vehicle Mods & Repairs
Servicing the 1991-1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser Steering Knuckle, Birfield and Axle Shaft – Disassembly
It’s now been about four and a half years that I owned my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser and I never serviced the front steering knuckle and axle shafts (birfields). Shame on me. It was probably because there were no tell-tale signs of something wrong (eg; the front axle clicking when turning, etc.) that I put it off (or procrastination).
Well, it was time to do a brake job on the front axle (my front brake rotors were warped), and since I was going to be half-way into the birfield service, I might as well do the job correct and gain the knowledge of how to swap a front axle in my garage rather than out in the middle of no-where. Continue reading
I guess it’s been a few weeks since my last update.
I am finally able to announce that:
MY LAND CRUISER STARTED AND RAN TONIGHT!!!!
After spending the weekend trying to finish all the final details prior to the initial startup of the rebuilt 3FE, I was able fire it up just after dark tonight.
Per the instructions from the rebuilder, I started the engine and ran it at 1200 RPMs until the coolant temperature began to rise, then I increased the RPMs to 1800 and ran it for 45 minutes (the rebuilder stated a minimum of 30 minutes).
So far everything sounds and looks good (except for all the smoking from the new paint).
I have to wait until Tuesday for the initial test drive. I still have to swap out the rear tires for the stock tires rather than the 33 inchers. I put the stock tires on the front in order for the engine to clear the front cross member. I’ll run the stock 31 inch tires all the way around for the engine break in period (first 2000 miles or more) so I reduce the chances of lugging the engine (plus the odometer will be a accurate for the multiple oil and filter changes, retorquing of the head gasket, etc in the next 2000 miles).
That’s all for now.
I am finally able to announce that my 3FE engine, transmission and transfer case is gently resting in my 80-series Land Cruiser. Nothing is hooked up yet except for the tranny cross member and engine mounts.
Prior to installing the engine, I ran new extended breather lines for the transfer case and transmission. The old breather line was somewhat brittle, so this was the perfect opportunity to run the new lines.
I still have to clean my air flow meter, hook up the belt driven accessories, vacuum hoses, wiring harness, drive lines and fix the exhaust head pipes that I had to sawzall in two to get the engine out.
It’s getting closer. But now it’s all weather dependent. Damn the storm that’s blowing in for the next four days.
I’m starting to get excited about having my Land Cruiser back.
To be continued.
It’s been a couple weeks since I posted an update on the 3FE engine rebuild in my FJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser. Here is the latest on my 80-series 3FE project.
In the last installment, I just finished making the initial adjustment of my valves. Since then, I gave the mighty 3FE a coat of paint, bolted the valve cover on, installed the exhaust manifold, intake manifold and the exhaust heat shields.
In today’s installment of the assembly of my Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 3FE engine, I torqued down the rocker arm assembly, adjusted the valve clearance, cleaned the rocker arm cover and intake manifold. I have two stripped studs where the exhaust head pipe bolts to the exhaust manifold and I was able to get one of them out before I had to rush off to my daughter’s soccer practice.
You can see all my photos from this rebuild at Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser 3FE Rebuild
To be continued.